From:
mike morrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:29:33 -0400
 To: Mr. Dr Gibson
 Subject: Welfare Standards for Ferrets
 Re: Agency Docket #04-088-1
 9 CFR Part 3

At the closing of public comments on November 18, 2005 there were over
age of shipment and the humane treatment of baby ferrets.  The ferret
community has been informed the USDA/APHIS is considering the only change
will be that ferrets be grouped in with all warm blooded animals with a
minimum shipment age of 8 weeks.  This is a great step forward in
preserving the life of baby ferrets and we appreciate the USDA/APHIS
agreeing to the new ruling.  It is also felt that grouping the ferret
in with all warm blooded animals was for you the easiest and most cost
effective way for USDA/APHIS to implement some change.

However, there must be a check and balance to insure this ruling is being
followed and to the commitment of the humane treatment of baby ferrets
shipped from commercial ferret breeders.  In 1996 there were specific
individual standards and regulations for dog and cats, guinea pigs and
hamsters, rabbits, nonhuman primates and marine mammals.  With over 8
million ferrets in the United States we feel ferrets deserve the same
consideration.

If the ferrets are going to be grouped in with all warm blooded animals
and the rest of our proposal is not considered, there will still be
incidents of underage baby ferrets being shipped without regard to
nutrition, environment, etc.  The ferret community, as a special interest
group, will continue to monitor these issues at facilities throughout
the country and will continue to employ the USDA/APHIS to establish
specific regulations for the humane treatment of all baby ferrets offered
to the public.  We had hoped that this issue would be addressed now on
its' individual merit and not grouped with existing regulations or by
amending these same regulations.

We feel that until a ferret specific regulation is established, the
ferret community will continue to feel it is needed and will continue
to request your assistance.

Sincerely,
Mike & Arita Morrett
Savannah Lakes Ferretry

 cc: The International Ferret Congress
     The American Ferret Association
     The Ferret Mailing List

Permission is given for this letter to be used in its entirety of in
part to be submitted to the USDA