From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:16:48 -0400
In everything I have read cats are the ONLY animals which PASS
toxoplasmosis, though other species can get it.  It can also be
contracted from eating raw or rare meat and some other dietary routes.
The usual routine isn't even to get rid of the cats, though, but to have
someone else handle the little boxes.  When someone is pregnant it would
not hurt to have the hubby handle all animal waste.  Heck, given the
nausea early on...

These are some comments on the topic by ferret expert veterinary
pathologist, Dr. Bruce Williams:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG10863

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG1002
>But this is indeed true - ferrets, like any mammal, can contract
>Toxoplasmosis, but only cats can pass the infective eggs in the
>feces - cats are the definitive host. The only feces that you can
>catch toxo from is cat feces.
>
>Any mammal can pass infective organisma living within the cells of
>their body if they are eaten without being cooked well, however - this
>is why it is recommended that all pregnant women cook their meat
>(beef, pork) well.  If you eat a cat, or a ferret, or a kangaroo, you
>could theoretically ingest the organism that way, but I doubt there is
>any likelihood of that.
>
>The chance of contracting Toxo from your ferret is astronomical, but
>let's make sure your husband cleans up after those cats!

Here is some up to date human health info on this zoonotic disease:
http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.htm

http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/common/toxoplasmosis.html

http://familydoctor.org/180.xml
>Here are some tips to help you avoid exposure to toxoplasma during
>your pregnancy:
>
>Do not allow your cat to go outside your home where it may come into
>contact with toxoplasma.  If possible, have someone else take care of
>your cat while you are pregnant.
>
>Have another family member change the cat litter box and then disinfect
>it with boiling water for 5 minutes.
>
>If you must handle the chore of changing the litter box, wear rubber
>gloves to avoid contact with the litter and wash your hands thoroughly
>afterwards.
>
>Use work gloves when gardening and wash your hands afterwards.
>
>Cover children's sandboxes when not in use (cats like to use them as
>litter boxes).
>
>Control flies and cockroaches as much as possible.  They can spread
>contaminated soil or cat feces onto food.
>
>Avoid eating raw or undercooked meat (or poultry) and unwashed
>fruits and vegetables.
>
>Wash your hands thoroughly before you eat and after handling raw
>meat, soil, sand or cats.
>
>Avoid rubbing your eyes or face when preparing food, and wipe the
>counter clean afterwards.
>
>Avoid eating raw eggs and drinking unpasteurized milk.

Also
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/
toxoplasmosis_brochure_8.2004.pdf

Right now on the West Coast there is a request for people to keep cats
and their waste (and litter) indoors because toxoplasmosis is a horrible
disease in otters and they die with great suffering from brain damage
from it.  It is reaching their food items in run-off and that is how
they are getting it.