Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:47:50 EST
>So, I contacted the Georgia breeder, and travelled there to get a
>ferret ... the place was immaculate, and her ferret breeders and
>offspring were plump, shiney and good natured. So I came home with two
>of hers (guaranteed non MF- full family tree for several generations
>provided as part of the sale) and with a rescue (kept in a separate
>building by law up there) that I couldn't leave without.

What other guarantees were offered? Did she offer any guarantees on
health? Guaranteeing the ferrets are free of MF lines doesn't mean
much - MF doesn't sell pet ferrets intact. Also you mentioned neutering
at 6 months - that is still IMO an "early" neuter because they are not
done growing at that age. Over a year would be a better time to neuter
IMO.

>Well, they were just wonderful ... BUT they both developed adrenal
>problems, one also developed insulinoma, and a mild cardiomyopathy
>as well.

May I ask what color these ferrets are? How old where they when they
developed these problems?

I do think it is wrong of private breeders to advertise they never have
these problems when I know some of them have produced such problems.
However I still feel that there is a better chance at good general
health when you start off with a kit who wasn't removed from the mother
too young, wasn't put through surgery and vaccinated when they should
still be nursing, wasn't shipped out to petstores at barely old enough
to be away from their mother where they are likely to be poorly cared
for, overcrowded, given no dark sleeping spots (after all customers
have to see them) and kept in bright lights for 12+ hours a day. I
think those things combined give all pet store ferrets a rough start.
My Ophelia and her two brothers were at a store for about 5-6 months,
nearly died when employees forgot to give them water for a weekend and
were all three almost adult size in a small see through display cage
24/7 for that entire time. I bought her for $7 and she is a wonderful
sweet ferret but at not even 2 she already has adrenal disease :(

Nikki