From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:32:05 -0700
>You insinuate that groups take PETCO's money and do nothing but boost
>PETCO's reputation.

I must not have been strong enough in my statements if you took my words
as only an "insinuation".  It's a huge part of their business plan, it's
what their business plan hinges on.  Does anyone else get the Pet Product
magazine?  It's directed at retailers and uses Petco as a guiding light to
other pet stores: Associate with the shelters and animal welfare groups.

        Take their brochures into your stores. Take their animals
        in and find homes for them...your sales will soar!

>These clubs should be insulted by that comment, especially if they were
>to assume that they in some way are sell-outs.

They ARE selling out!  Petco is no longer selling rabbits because the
rabbit community did NOT take their bribes.  As tempting as it is to
*think* that Petco is just doing this out of the goodness of their
hearts, it's equally ridiculous to think that any profit corporation with
shareholders and a board of directors has a heart.  They have a business
plan.  Petco will always sell ferrets thanks to the ferret people who take
their money.  :-(

>The management at PETCO corporate insisted that their management and
>personnel in their distribution centers would have definitely known the
>difference and would have never let this happen.

Oh PLEASE!  They can insist all they want.  Too many people actually saw
the ferrets, including at least one vet who autopsied one who died.  They
also denied (under their current president, Brian Devine) that they had
received 3 week old baby rabbits.  However a Petco employee provided us
with the shipping invoice and related paperwork.  Only then did they admit
there might have been a "mistake".  Bull....!

>I have been dreading this kind of response since PETCO made the decision
>to sponsor us.

If you don't want a response then don't post.

>If I have misinterpreted your post..........

You did not misinterpret my post in any way.  Your entire response merely
confirms my post.  Petco is *using* animal groups all over the US to
promote themselves.  (you've been to all of their grand openings?  "Hey
it's ok with us <insert your name here> if they sell ferrets!" Petco will
put your show flyers in their 3 stores.  "See!  The <insert your name here>
thinks we're doing a great job with ferrets."

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
Seattle, WA