From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:58:31 EST
I doubt anything I or anyone else can say will make this decision easier for
you.  You obviously love your ferrets.  If you did not, this decision would
be far simpler and less emotional for you.

A few years ago, my husband I and started leaving our ferrets out at night.
Before that, we had always put them in their cage at night.  Plus our
ferrets are always kept in their cage when we are away.  We started leaving
them out at night mainly because we would come home late and were too tired
to stay up and let the ferrets have a reasonable out of cage time.

This way they could get petted, played with, and so on while we were getting
ready for bed, in the morning before we 'officially' got up, and so on.  They
also started, on occasion, sleeping with us in the bed.  (Note: They can
make great alarm clocks because they get up at the same time every day.  ;)

My husband and I do our best to give our ferrets our undivided attention as
much as possible.  Sometimes, however, it is very difficult to spend as much
time with them as we or they would like.  Sometimes they have to solicit
attention from us.  (They know I'm a sucker for them.  If someone comes up
to me, they always get a snuggle, a petting, or some wrestling.  It makes it
hell for me to get ready for work in the morning!)

Am I a bad mother?  Some may say yes, but I don't think so because I know my
ferrets are happy.  Other people's opinions don't mean much to me.  My
ferrets' opinions are the only ones that count in this situation.  Other
then listening to your ferrets' opinions, the only advice I can give you is
to follow your heart.  It will lead you to the right answer.

-kim, squirt (dook-dook-dook-DOOK! - Squirt's version of duck-duck-goose),
 pippi (starting to get fat and fluffy), atlas (the eating machine),
 and hijinx (loves to nip ankles)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.