From:
Mark Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 11:01:48 -0400
Hi--Mark and I wanted to join the group--we are new subscribers to FML and
we love what we have learned from our first posting.  La Neige and Loki(La
Neige-a laidback 2 yr old- is an albino female and Loki-a VERY HYPER-4
month old is an albino Male and he is huge compared to LaNeige!) also
wanted to say hello!

In the past two years since we initially got LaNeige we have been learning
about ferrets the hard (and Fun) way!  Our latest experiment is in the use
of toddler doorway partitions and the use of "ferret barbed wire"-tape
sticky side up along the top of the partition.  We have also tried to use
"Loki bombs"-small rolls of tape placed on the outside of the partition to
discourage climbing.  Our reasoning for the barrier was to minimize the #
of corners or "drop zones".  This method has had questional, if not
humourous results.  When Loki trips a Loki bomb he goes ballistic.  He runs
all over the apartment, like a bucking bronco!  We have had more luck
placing a food dish in the corner that they "drop" in.

We are getting new carpet-hopefully that will eliminate the residual odor.
An interesting note to emphasize this--Last year LaNeige was "dropping" in
the kitchen by the refrigerator and we had the vinyl replaced (not because
of LaNeige!) and she stopped going there.  Does anyone have any other ideas?

Their home is in our bathroom closet with their "litter box" next to the
comode and their food on the other side.  We lay towels under their food
and "box" (they seem to like it much better).  We can't actually use cat
litter because both of them love to play in the litter (especially LaNeige)
and it gets tossed all over the bathroom.  We just use paper and change it
every morning.  We've learned many things along the way and the worst has
seemed to be the litter training!

But no matter what Mr.  Irwin says we couldn't think of two more Loveable
(and Loving) carpet sharks to "Exploit" in the world.

NEXT WEEK-THE INEVITABLE NEW SUBSCRIBER QUESTIONS ABOUT BARE TAILS!

[Moderator's note: Oh boy!  But please consider reading the FAQ first just
in case it's covered there.  (Chances are it is.)  BIG]

Loki-"Amy will quit making all that pecking noise and come play!!"
LaNeige-"Yawn, come cuddle me Mark."