From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:06:54 -0700
Gary,

Your post on the fml about poverty is wonderful.  The last two years I
have lost my house, and due to old age and illness, several ferrets.

At times when I didn't rush immediately to the vet (I have never been one
to do that) I have had "friends" write me and tell me not to kill my
ferrets with neglect and find homes that can take care of them.  Since
most of my "kids" are 7-9 years old, they are getting ill and leaving me.
But not due to neglect, just age.  And I personally don't feel it is
being responsible giving them up in the last days of their lives.  And
the kisses and cuddles I get tell me that I have made the right choice.

People have little understanding or compassion about poverty.  I didn't
choose to injure my back nor did I choose to get a stress disorder
because I was stalked.  I have lost a house, pawned many things for
pennies to buy ferret food, and moved.  Yet I have managed to take care
of my ferrets with the help of understanding vets who take post dated
checks.

Hey, if it ain't free I don't do it!!  My recreation is playing with the
fuzzbutts and enjoying outdoors.  Even with trouble walking, a good bench
in a park is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for pointing out to folks that we all walk our paths differently
and must make our own decisions.

blessings,

Maggie