Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:52:52 -0500
we are fortunate enough that our local ferret vet (5 minutes away) has
a pager and takes calls up till 2;00, and only 40 minutes away from the
university of guelph who handles emergencies 24 hours a day. however,
before we had this luxury, we used an emergency vet that was very
reluctant to deal with ferrets, but we always brought a ferret vet
book (e.g. Dr Purcell's) as a reference, and that makes them much more
comfortable. if you are calling the emergency place on a phone, you
could suggest that you are willing to purchase a copy of a vet book
on ferrets for them as a reference for emergencies. I would imagine
that there are some types of emergencies where it is better to have
a willing vet that is close by than an expert who is an hour away.

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin, Mochi, Jolt & Cola