From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 02:00:04 -0500
Shelby was introduced to us by our ferret dealer.  I have a sneaking
suspicion that she knew what she was doing when she asked, "Can you
babysit a few of the shelter kids while we go out of town?" Crafty lady.

Shelby reminded me of Droopy Dog.  He had a true hang-dog look, and could
look at you in a way that made you just want to hurl yourself at his
little fuzzy toes and ask what you could do for him.  He had the best
little head.  He liked it when you planted two fingers beside each ear
and scrunched his little head skin back and forth.  Sometimes he would be
so into it that when you let go, he'd fall over.

Shelby was also the best at face washing.  He would stick his little hands
up by his ears, give a huge flip-top head yawn and just dddrrraaaaggggggg
his little hands down his face.  Then he'd look at you like, "Aren't I
cute?" And he was.  He was so adorable.  Maya, his sister and a silver
mitt, just tormented him unmercifully when she wanted to play.  Shelby
was master of laying on his side and sticking all four feet up into her
face to fend her off.

Shelby loved The Ferret Store's jingle balls.  I bought him a literal
herd of them.  He would wake out of a dead sleep when he heard them.
Often at night, when I couldn't sleep, I would lay in the dark and giggle
as I heard him moving all of them underneath the bed, right under where I
slept.  He'd get this hysterically funny peeved expression on his face
when he saw they'd been moved.  One by one, he would find them, pick them
up and trot them back to their home.  Then he would sleep on top of them,
like a dragon guarding its gold.

Shelby and Max were hysterical together.  Two sweet, goofy little boys.
Neither bit, neither were the alphas.  Rather, they were the sweet ones
that took the abuse.  Both were chicken gravy fiends.

Shelby liked Cheerios, Chicken Treats (which he would hide in his daddy's
shoes), buckets (don't ask) and trash bags.  Did I mention he was goofy?

Shelby was my quilting ferret.  He *loved* my scraps and would bury
himself in them.  He was an absolute joy.  A comforting, sweet, gentle
beautiful thing.  My heart and my life are much, much emptier without him
and Max.

Shelby died in his daddy's lap today, May 3, 2002 on the way to the vet.

Julie
Email 1: [log in to unmask]
Email 2: [log in to unmask]
MSN: [log in to unmask]