From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 11:31:11 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask] (Michael Flaster)
> Subject: I'm discouraged...
>
> Anyway, please write, post, and tell me that ferrets actually like
> people...  Also, *any* recommendations for a place to get (gentle)
> ferrets, within 200 miles of Long Island, that you've actually been to,
> would be *greatly* appreciated...

I won't drag out this reply too much, but in short, your weekend -was-
an aberration.  Ferrets do like people.  Just like for other pets,
less-than-optimal treatment and training will lead to a less-social
ferret.  (YMMV -- Your Mustelid May Vary -- but in general ferrets are
no more vicious than dogs or cats, and often a good bit friendlier.)

I don't know of any small breeders in your area, but I can recommend
Path Valley Farms, a bit west of Harrisburg, PA.  They're very big,
but also very friendly -- a woman there came to work on a Sunday
afternoon to let us play with a dozen or so kits for an hour before we
finally chose one.  Rusty, the cinnamon we got from them, is just the
cuddliest fellow, and never needed much nip-training at all.

(No flames, please.  I know Path Valley neuters their ferets earlier
than would be ideal, and they descent them too.  But on the other
hand, they also breed and train them to be friendly and gentle, which
is especially important for ferrets headed for pet stores.)

- Pam
Ferret FAQ now shipping -- write me for your free copy!