From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:51:59 -0600
We had a delightfully yummy and quiet Thanksgiving.  No takers of the
ferretkind on the turkey though I got some really funny looks when they
sniffed it.  Just a few friends over for a late evening supper, one who had
never met ferrets before.  He thought they were cute and fun.  Pumkin was
a bit territorial over his home.  It was funny.  He kept coming back and
checking on our company and he had such a strange look on his face.  He
was very pleased when everyone went home.  Silly critter.

Surgeries on Friday went well.  Cosita had her spleen and part of her
pancreas removed.  Culla had the end of his tail amputated.  Coco had her
teeth scraped and one tooth removed.  Zipper had low blood glucose (56)
but pred causes bleeding ulcers so I'm trying to manage her insulinoma
without pred.

On my post about temps I certainly didn't mean to imply that others don't
love their ferrets.  As an aside note I've witnessed ferrets kept in filthy
tiny cages and only let out when their people feel like it, yet these
people claim to love their ferrets and when talking to them they talk like
they really care, yet their ferrets are kept in tiny filthy cages without
human interaction on a daily basis, sometimes not even weekly.  (Yes I've
worked to make life better for those poor ferrets.)

I'm haunted by the dull lifeless eyes of the Fredonia ferrets and the
frightened eyes of the auction rescues.  With the Fredonia ferrets, it
was as if they had no interest in life.  They didn't even bother to get
up and come to the front of the cage to see us.  Years later I can still
see those eyes.

Once released from their bondage, they had no idea what ferrets do, how
they play or the carefree whimsical attitude that I see daily in our group.
Most, but not all, blossomed into typical ferrets.  Some had been damaged
beyond the ability to become the carefree joyous creature ferrets should
be.  It was so very sad.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services