From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:05:45 -0600
Well here goes.... I work for Tandy Corporation, the parent company of
Radio Shack, in the IS division.  I heard about the radio commercial a few
days before it broke here when a shelter operator in a market where it got
alot of air time included me on a short list of folks she sent a transcript
of the ad.  I forwarded it to my work address and from there crafted what I
felt was a polite, reasoned, e-mail, which I sent to the director of Radio
Shack advertising and the president of the company.  Prefacing everything
by explaining that the person who sent it to me had no idea that I worked
for the offending company, I quoted the transcript.  I identified the
objectionable portions and explained how they negatively impacted ferrets
and ferret owners.  I explained exactly how popular ferrets have become and
gave population estimates for Texas (the company's home state) and locally
(Fort Worth) and pointed out that their own home city recently changed code
to license them like cats and dogs.  I told them about the FML, the usenet
group, and clubs just in Texas (many of whom had received the ad copy) and
predicted that it wouldn't be long before it was seen by the thousands of
readers/members of these resources.  Though I knew it was a long shot and
unlikely to be viewed as a feasible business move, I suggested they pull
the ad.

I got a reply.  In fact, the note posted a couple of issues ago that was
sent as response to some FML'ers was just an edited down version of the
e-mail response I got from the advertising guy.  I'll post the version I
received in a second message.  I felt the response was sort of a brush off
and somewhat patronizing, so I tried again a few days later after watching
the furor over the Letterman show and Radio Shack.  I told them about the
tone on the FML and in several messages I had gotten personally, all but
two from folks who had no idea I worked for Radio Shack (or one that
managed to miss the fact that it was a Radio Shack ad even though she is a
former employee-- just heard the negative ferret references-- and she's not
a ferret owner!).  I suggested that they consider posting an
acknowledgement or apology of sorts for the miscast ad copy on the FML and
try to soothe the negative feelings.  I got no response this time, but the
day after the message was sent, interestingly enough a company wide e-mail
was sent out warning against anyone not specifically authorized to be a
company spokesperson talking to "the media" if they were contacted about
"products, employees, news, or issues" because this was in the company's
best interest.  I felt somewhat threatened, so I have waited to see if
there was any acknowledgement on this list by my company or others who had
contacted them.  I'm not interested in losing my job, though I feel like
this is not "the media" and I'm making no effort to tear the company down.
It really leaves both the company and me on thin ice if they try to do
anything about me speaking up now.  I would appreciate it if anyone
contacting the company would be careful to leave me out of it.  I was ready
to post night before last, and again last night, but had to get some sleep
before I finished this message.  After all, I am also a ferret owner, and
president and legalization chairperson for a ferret club as well as a Tandy
employee, though I was trying to give them the chance to make their own
positive response.

Now I'm glad I waited until this morning-- I love the folks who have taken
the time to come up with a positive response and write the ad copy!  With
permission, I'd like to forward the idea to RadioShack advertising.  I have
presented myself as an observer all along, and taking them this idea from
the members of the FML would be in keeping with that.  If they could get
such an ad produced in time, this is a great time of year to use it-- toy
sales being what they are in the holiday season.  Scott and Ilena, please
let me know what you think.

Debra Thomason
Ferret Lovers Club of Texas