From:
Adrienne C Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 21:04:36 -0800
Karen-

Most of what we hear about ferrets suggests descenting, but our vet only
recommends it for aggressive animals or habitual sprayers.  Our three boys
are fixed but have scent glands--they almost never spray, even when they
play hard.

Our oldest, Magnum, also spent a night out-on-the-town and came home.  He
used his amazing climing skills to brace himself between the wall and a
plant stand, wiggle up to the window (which was cracked open a bit), open
the window further, pop the screne out of the track, and hop out onto the
porch.  We searched, with our cats' help, for hours with no luck.  After
about three hours of restless sleep, I woke up and went back out, once again
with the cats.  The neighbor-cat's water dish was knocked over, and the
raisin trail was gone, so I knew he'd been there.  As I started going one
direction, the cats took of in another.  I looked at where they were looking
and saw Magnum's form through a bush.  I ran over as he made a dash for a
whole leading under one of the apartment buildings (someone else's cat was
not in the mood for playing and was arched up and hissing).  My cat Hunter,
who that day earned his name, ran between Magnum and the whole, and I
quickly snatched up the errant ferret.

We, too, were shocked at his attempt to come home, and by the fact that he
was unharmed.  We fell ever more deeply in love with him, which led to our
second ferret and a whole cache of tales and terrors.  .  .

Adrienne, Barry
Magnum, Faux-Pas, Snafu, Carlin (ferrets)
Hunter & Vixen (felines)
Kayla (canine)