From:
D K SADOWSKI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:32:42 -0500
I own a ferret rescue in New Jersey and this is what I do and instruct
others to do if they see that the ferrets & other exotics are not cared
for properly.

1) Ask to speak to the manager and explain your concerns.  Usually the
problem is taken care of right away.

keep the original problem corrected.  If not ask to speak to the manager
AGAIN.

3) If the situation is never taken care of or in the case of the Ramsy
Petco (Help needed ASAP) call the "State of New Jersey Division of Fish &
Wildlife Office of Permit Management-Exotic & Nongame Wildlife" ( It
doesn't hurt to call the Health Department as well.) The phone number for
the NJ Division of F & G & W is (908)735-5450 and ask to speak to Jane
Cheryl.  Explain everything you saw and give the address of the pet shop
(ANY pet shop, not just Petco, that sells ferrets, hedgehogs exotic birds
etc.).

In New Jersey, ALL pet shops selling exotics MUST possess a Pet Shop
Permit, Same goes for the ferret rescues/shelters.  They are all
inspected in order to get this permit and only receive one if they PASS
the inspection  Everyone who buys a ferret or other exotic must fill out
a temporary permit (PINK slip) to own these animals.

Calling the ASPCA usually doesn't help as most of them do nothing.  If
your claims are found to be true the store is written up and I believed
fined.  Depending on the animal it could be at least $1000 PER animal
but possibly more.  Calling the local rescues will help but the
individual that has witnessed the wrong doing really needs to call the
state themselves as they prefer to hear it straight "From The Horse's
Mouth".

WEASLE QUEEN