From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:15:21 -0500
My 6 year old dark eyed white female had what seemed to be an uncomplicated
insulinoma surgery this morning.  But she is having a very bad time with
her blood not clotting.  There is a pressure bandage around her abdomen,
and as soon as it is pulled slightly away, you can see the blood start to
flow.  They've already had her back in to surgery to see if it's coming
from anywhere that they can see... I'm a little rattled right now, but I
think my vet said they left some sterile gauze inside to put pressure on
things.  She has already had one transfusion from one of my other ferrets,
and I have two others staying at the vet's office at the ready in case she
needs more.  Sunny has been given a Vitamin K shot.

But I've read basically nothing about this kind of problem in ferrets.  Can
anyone share a similar experience or help?  I did a quick look in the
archives but didn't find much.  But I don't want to tie up my phone line
for long in case my vet calls, so I didn't look very hard.

Ironically, I posted a little while back about a web site that mentioned
you can give cat or dog blood to ferrets needing transfusions.  No one
replied, but I've followed up with the vet hospital who host the article,
and it turns out that they got the article from a third party and they
think the info is incorrect.  They've already changed it... Just wanted
to clear that up in case anyone was wondering.

If anyone has any advice for what to do for Sunny, I'd appreciate it.

-Pam S.