From:
Jean Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 21:41:49 -0400
My adult daughter (Barbara) has a new ferret (12 weeks, purchased at 6.5
weeks from a reliable pet shop). She has had one ferret before this one,
but she adopted her full grown.

This baby has two major problems which Barb has tried desperately to break
her of. The first is biting, and we have been reading all the recent
suggestions on the FML with great interest. She has tried the nose flicking
(harder),  giving a finger painted with bitter apple, and pinching the neck
etc, all with loud "NO" but nothing has helped this little nut (Cashew).
She bites harder after the punishment and will not let go. It seems
vengeful. And sidetracking her with toys will not work either. She really
is persistant. There is nothing medically wrong, according to the vet.

Cashew also throws temper tantrums. When put back in her cage for a "time
out" she will throw a tantrum and bite the cage. (We haven't heard THIS on
the FML) She squawks loudly and continuously until picked up, and then she
bites. She does like to be out of the cage (a nice big three story condo),
and she likes to play with the dog. But she will also bite the dog, and
hang there until somebody removes her. If she hears voices in the morning
she squawks until let out.
When Barb called Path Valley two weeks ago for advice, they said she seemed
to be a ferret with an attitude. They offered to take her back if she
decided to give up on her. She hates to do this, but she has several
concerns. Is Cashew likely to mellow as she matures, or is she likely to
keep this personality? Perhaps she is lonely and would be better off with
other ferrets??? My daughter can't get more ferrets at this time, so that
would mean she would need to give her back.

HELP. A decision must be made soon. Advice please, please, please.
Sorry to be so long, but this is an EMERGENCY!
Jean & Barbara