From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 11:00:04 CST6CDT
Here's on update on what KDHE says....
One of those regulations would allow what the KDHE classifies as "wild
animals" to be vaccinated for rabies if evidence can be shown the
vaccination is effective.  This proposed change is important because it
could allow some wild animals normally kept as pets to be vaccinated for
rabies rather than killed to be tested for the disease if they bite a human.

Greg Crawford, KDHE spokesman, said scientific evidence about transmission
of rabies from ferrets is still inconclusive.  We're waiting for those
studies to be conclusive.  Until science says they can be safe with a
vaccination, we will err on the side f caution.  We have to be 100 percent
sure that ferrets will not expose a person.  Studies indicate that a
vaccination used on cats and dogs is so conclusive, that in 14 days signs
will be evident that a person has been exposed to rabies.  We cannot make
the same conclusion with ferrets.(I bet Rhone Meriuex would like to know
this)

Crawford said another of the proposed changes involves changing the wording
of regulations to emphasize testing only animals that are pronte to the
disease.  There's no sense in testing some animals who are not prone to
carrying the rabies, Crawford said.  We're modifying the steps so we fit in
with national norm.  -----

KDHE will allow "wild" animals to be vaccinated and not euthenized but will
continue to kill ferrets!  I'm furious!  If you haven't written your letters
please do so today and send a copy to Crawford at the same address.
Crawfords phone # (913) 296-1529, FAX for both - (913) 291-3775.
Send copies to the
Attorney General, Carla Stovall, Judicial Center, 301 SW 10th, 2nd Floor,
Topeka KS 66612-1597 (913) 296-2215.

Dr. Jennifer Calder
Epidemiology Office
109 SW 9th Suite 602