From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 20:41:42 -0400
Thanks to everyone who has offered to take this fat little guy into their
home.  I hope I have responded to everyone's email, but just in case, I
thought I would post the latest on him here.  By the way, my daughter has
deemed him Luke.

The most alarmingly observation is this heavy breathing he does at times.
It is almost as though he is panting like a dog and having trouble catching
his breath.  The problem was not as evident when he went to the vet
Saturday because we had just picked him up and went almost directly to the
vets.  (Note that he is going in Wednesday to see our ferret vet when Jack
has his presurgical bloodwork done.) At that time it was attributed to his
obese size.  But, I am reminded more and more of how Syd was breathing his
last days when his chest was filled with fluid.  This guy has become a
little more active since he has been here, so that is not the real worry.
But, when putting his blankets and hammock (from his previous owners),
there were pine shavings and the green kind of shavings on the hammock
(caught in the fleece).  If this boy is 16 weeks, that would mean he has
probably spent most of that time on shavings.  Anyone with firsthand
experience of ferrets that had respiratory problems due to the shavings?
What exactly should we be looking for?  What is typically seen?

As for temperment and interaction.  He still wants little to do with the
other ferrets.  He has been out for playtime with them, but is sleeping
alone.  My daughter has been working with him on ferret play, he only
responds to traditonal cat toys.  I did hear from his previous owners (I
sent a bunch of questions Saturday afternoon).  According to them, he did
get out to play with their cats, but only in the basement.  Balls, bells
and fleece do little for him, but give him the sisal mouse bouncy toy that
belongs to our cat and he is in heavan.  BUT, he looks like a cat playing,
there is little dancing or trying to run off with the thing.  He is much
more roll on is back and bat at the thing.  Not that ferrets don't due that
to a degree, but.....

He has nipped me pretty good four times now, twice with clear intent and
twice are excusable for a frightened little boy in a big new confusing
environment.

dnyway, I wanted to update everyone who has asked about him and give a
basic overview of what is going on with him.  Wish us luck for Wednesday!!!

Check out my other posting for a challenge to all FMLers!!

Hugs to all,

Jen