From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:43:55 -0600
I took my (human) daughter to get her immunizations.  She had several but I
am concerned about the polio vaccination.  This was the oral polio that is
live and she will be shedding it for the next two months in her stools.  I
worry because Malikah is only five that she may not be washing her hands
thoroughly after using the restroom.  I know that there are human diseases
that ferrets can get, but I don't remember any one mentioning anything
about Polio.  Should I be keeping her out of contact with the ferrets?
Can she trasmit Polio to ferrets?

Melissa Warren mentioned in yesterdays FML that skunks and ferrets no
longer share the same family tree.  When and why did this happen?

I found two new toys for my girls.  Or should I say they found them?  When
we let the girls out they are restricted from the bedrooms.  My bedroom has
the dryer, computer cords and a bathroom counter that isn't blocked off;
and my daughter's has all the little tiny toys.  Well, Malikah didn't get
her door latched when she shut it - so after some war dancing in the
hallway they found that the door mysteriously opened for them and they were
just in heaven.  I got up to go get them and here they come running top
speed out of the room dragging my daughters plastic pumpkin for trick or
treating.  I closed the door and they didn't even notice, that pumpkin was
COOL.  I may need to buy Malikah another one.  ;-)

The other toy we found is very close to the pumpkin.  It is a clear plastic
ball for ginnea pigs to run around in.  Granted my ferrets are to big to be
able to run in it (I suppose you might fit a young kit in it) but they
liked crawling in and out of it.  Frumpstiggle figured out a way to push it
to the linoleum floor, hop in it and flip herself back and forth to get it
rocking.  Then she'd pop her head out and lay back and have it rock her
until Minerva figured out that looked like fun and crawl in too.

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle the marsh wiggle
in Denver, CO