From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:11:08 -0500
First, I'd like to give my condolences to all who have lost their beloved
fur kids.  I try to write to all, but sometimes it just doesn't get done.

Duane raised a question about a vet euthanizing a healthy animal.  In my
experiences with vets there are some who would do so, no questions asked.
Some are, and I'm not insulting the veterinary profession, just going
on personal experience, who are in it flat out for the money.  I even,
years ago, had a vet tell me he had a veterinary degree, and people
would believe anything he said.  I've told some vets they weren't worth
twenty-five cents an hour, and I never walked back into their office.
BUT-this vet could have told this woman $80 to keep her from having the
ferret put down.  I've known a number of vets that will steer the owner
towards a shelter, or a rescue person.  When I was working in a vet's
office a lady brought in an ill ferret to be helped to the Bridge.  The
vets let me hold her and examine her after the lady left, and they told
me if I thought I could save her, they'd call the woman and talk her
out of the euthanization.  Unfortunately the poor little one was in such
bad shape that the only kind thing was to help her to the Bridge.  I
held her, talked to her after her shot, walked with her till she left.
Everyone in that office, vets and techs, were in tears.

What Duane is going to do, put his name in the with vet, is a great idea.
I know my vet here has my name, and knows that if necessary I will assist
in placing a ferret, as I am at capacity in my rescue.  Many here know
me, know that a lot of my kids are the older ones, some are ill, some
blind and deaf.

As to shaking sense into a person, well, I can tell you that it won't
work.  There are people who look at an animal as just that, an animal.
They believe they're a 'disposable' commodity, and shaking them or
talking to them, means nothing.  The D.  Bachmann case is just such
one-the ferrets are nothing but 'commodities' to a person like that,
something to make them look good for the moment, something to be disposed
of or abused at will.  All that we, as ferret and animal lovers can do,
is try to protect the innocent who have no voice.

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and
 taste good with ketchup"
"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have"