Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:09:14 -0500
When I participated in our last raw feeding discussion, because I am
pro kibble and recipe and not afraid to admit it, I received private
emails (10) from people who tried to switch to raw but their ferrets
wouldn't. These people also had someone experienced to guide them
through the process. I don't believe it is that rare for kibble fed
ferrets not to switch and I do believe it can be torture for some
ferrets as it was for Puma. In one case I heard the same description of
what happened to Puma that happened to a family of 6 ferrets. I'm not
posting this to be negative on the raw feeding issue, only to provide
information that others may not be aware of (since these were private
emails to me).

I'm not debating whether to feed raw or not, this is a personal choice
to make after reviewing the pros and cons and scientific and antidotal
evidence on both sides of the issue. If you choose raw, please switch
them slowly and be careful that you don't harm or betray your ferrets
in the process. Think of it this way, some ferrets won't even switch
kibble or eat a soup recipe. When we switch them to another kibble, we
do it slowly, mixing a lot of old with a little new till the switch
is complete and when we introduce a recipe we entice them to eat it
starting with the smallest amount and increasing over time. And if some
will switch and others won't in a family, perhaps try feeding both so
everyone is happy and content.

hugs. tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org