From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:25:47 -0700
I have often read that ferrets do not tolerate heat well, but wanted to
find out more information.  The reason that I question it at all is that
we went through Hurricane Charley last year, and were in southern Florida
in August without electric (i.e. no A/C) for around a week.  We were, of
course, extremely worried about our two ferrets.  We gave them lots of
water, changed it like twice a day or something, and watched them
carefully.  We never saw any sign that that the heat bothered them.

Now, our house is normally kept around 72-74 degrees, and with no A/C, it
got up into the upper 80's or low 90's and very humid.  But no sign of
any problem... we were prepared to load them up and take them in their
carry cage (in the A/C'ed car) to Wal-Mart or a restaurant or anywhere
to cool them off if necessary, but it proved unnecessary.

Any thoughts on why they had no problems with the heat, or did we just
get lucky?

Debbie