From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:58:50 -0500
>>As a Japanese person, I'm rather offended by this remark!

>Me Too!

OH for pity sake, get a life!  It was a joke, not a personal slam.  I am
so sick and tired of people getting offended over a silly comment.
Oriental people have slanted eyes, it's a fact of life, deal with it.
QUITCHERBITCHIN.  (I have round eyes, and would much rather have a lovely
slant to my eyes than plain old round ones that are kinda droopy).

And I have the guts to send this with my name attached.  Flame away if
you feel the need.  I can hit delete with the best of them.

Ok Big, I'm done with my rant.  Send it or delete it, I got it off my
chest. :D

Shelley and the five fuzzy round eyed ferrets.

[Moderator's note: I knew I was in for trouble when I let that
potentially offensive comment through and it was not done without some
consideration.

Lots of things come to mind here: like the OVER-sensitivity that some
people seem to have -- as well the LACK of sensitivity some other people
seem to have!  I try to not let me personal feelings get in the way of
deciding if posts go through but of course that's not 100% possible.

In this case I decided that pointing out a physical difference without
obvious derogatory implications is not by itself defamatory.  And once
that was decided, wrong or right, a lot of these side comments are all
the more silly (to me).  (Personally I was somewhat offended too, tho
I'm not really sure why... perhaps knowing some people might be bothered
by the remark raised the red flags.  BIG]