From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:45:51 -0400
>This is not meant to be a flame... and forgive me for stating the obvious
>here, but my thoughts are for the poor fuzzy that died, probably in great
>pain and confusion.  The thought of that raised a tear and a lump in my
>throat, to think that poor baby was actually in a place where medical
>help could be given and still didnt get it...
>
>Was there really no way for these "intelligent" humans to work out the
>problem?  Kinda makes you wonder about our species doesnt it?...
>
>Cris Page

I may be taking the post the wrong way, but it seems unfair to the vets out
there.  We don't know what shape the pet was in or the other circumstances
of the case, the post mentioned the ferret was ill a week already, maybe
brought in almost dead, wanting a miracle.

Reality is that there are hundreds of pets a day that die for one reason or
another, many times owners take on more than they can handle, or find out
when one is ill that they can't afford the medical care needed.  There are
those who have the money but due to other priorities or beliefs will not
spend it on their pet.  Every pet owner should prepare for emergencies,
look into pet insurance, or put away money for "rainy days".  Even so if
you are financially not able to pay, one has to except that they may not
be able to get the vet care they need.

That is a personal decision for everyone, and I am not judging anyone.
Just don't complain when the time comes.  Look at the situation and see
if you are really giving the animal a good home that would otherwise not
have one, and you are a loving and caring pet owner, I am sure you have
no reason to feel bad, sorrow is o.k, but blame is not to be placed.

The best advice is do not expect any vet to do the work for free.  Do
establish yourself as a client with the vet, know their policies on
extending credit ahead of time, and see what other vets are in your area,
and their fees, etc.  Also, look into local ferret shelters or vet offices
that you could volunteer at in exchange for some credit in case a pet it
ill unexpectantly.

It is very unfair to expect anyone to give away their services, when you
need a root canal does the dentist do it for free, or expect some money
up front?

Let us be fair to the hard working vets out there, they are not making tons
of money as it is, in order to establish a practice there are many times
when they have to learn to turn away someone as hard as that is, because
they can't stay in business otherwise.  I am sure the vet feels bad about
the outcome, but he also can't donate his services to everyone, and it
seems he would have extended the credit had the person had been his client
and known to be trustworthy.  How many people have good intentions, swear
up and down they are good for the money, and you never hear from them
again?  I bet a lot.

Patty

p.s.  As a species humans are the kindest (of course not everyone), think
about how other species treat each other, it is survival of the fitest.