From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:31:42 -0500
>Cage time isn't effective because by the time I get him there (cage is
>usually a long walk away) he has forgotten why we're going there.  And last
>but not least is NO BITE which I'm still doing consistently.
>He's always coming around jumping up on my leg seemingly wanting to be
>picked up - which I always do.  But shortly after i pick him up the biting
>begins!!  I've tried saying NO BITE and putting him back down hoping he'll
>get the message.  So far he hasn't.  Could it be that he doesn't really
>want to be picked up?

Kristen, it's possible that Ferret Baby has been biting as a signal that he
wants down, and you've been unwittingly reinforcing the biting by putting
him down when he starts.  I'd suggest that you continue to hold him while
firmly scolding him when he bites.  Perhaps you might try scruffing him as
well.  As for the cage being too far away to make for effective time-outs,
try a pet carrier instead.  I've found the pet carrier makes a good time-out
spot, because you can make sure it's totally empty so the ferret finds it
-very- boring to be there...if I used the cage as a time-out spot for mine,
I'd have to take out the toys, their treats, etc., so that like you, by the
time I could use the cage the ferret would have forgotten what s/he was
being disciplined for.  Good luck!

Dooks,
Lisa

Mom of Zorro, Claudia, and Loki

"It's no harder to be nice than it is to be creepy. And it's much more fun."
                --Death of the Endless
                in Neil Gaiman's
                _Death: the High Cost of Living_