From:
EI - Lydia Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:14:58 -0500
We took Mr. Snowman to another vet yesterday.  He confirmed what I thought,
Snowy is full of cancer.  He is to weak to do Chemo, to weak to remove the
spleen, and if he lives a month the vet would be surpised.  If I had taken
Snowy to him when I first noticed that he was ill we could have done all
of that.  Instead I took him to Dr. Ruhfel from the Macomb Vet Assc. in
Shelby Twp, MI.  Big mistake.  I thought this dr and I use that term
lightly was off when he said to only feel Snowy 3 times a day.  When I told
him Snowy hated the pepto he said give it to him anyway, he has an ulcer.
He said the spleen was enlaged but it could be anything, but he has an
ulcer.  He only treated the ulcer.  Why didnt I listen to myself?  I should
have taken him to someone else right then.  We might have been able to do
something.  I wasted 12 days.  Snowy went down so fast I am not sure it
would have helped but he might have had a chance.  The new vet said Snowy
probably wont last a month.  I am not saying I know more than a vet but I
have the fml and all of the knowledge here and should have listened to my
heart.  Thats the last time I will not act on what I think.  I know Dr.
Ruhfel's office treats ferrets, but that doesn't mean he knew anything.  I
am not going back there again.

On a positive note Mr. Snowman ate real good yesterday, we stopped giving
him the pepto.  We stopped forcing things down him.  As long as he is
eating I won't put him down.  If I think he is hurting, or he stops eating
I will help him to the rainbow bridge.  Last night I put him back in the
big cage with the rest of the family and they took turns laying on the
botton of the cage with Snowy.  Casper came and help Snowy clean up, she
is our little mom.  He has only been with us since the end of December but
he is loved by all of us.

Lydia and the crew
Snickers, Casper, Bubba, Trooper, Smokey, Mr. Snowman
http://www.HLRConnect.com/ferrets/