From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:04:13 -0400
Jen writes:
>I am guessing your orange ferret was previously white?  Newton (my
>beautiful black-eyed-white) turns orange this time every year after a
>massive coat change, most predominantly down her spine and tail.  Since
>it happens every year at the same time and her food never changes I
>always figured it was simply genetic.

Could be genetic but not in terms of coat color, as well.  Some do this
from skin oils which tint the fur.  As you know, the wrong food can do
it, too.

I have been informed by two separate source that they personally have
encountered rib cage malformations in these ferrets.  Haven't read all of
today's FML.  Perhaps someone will mention this today.  Do NOT know how
extreme this is or if cause is disease based, genetic, or nutritional, and
any of these have the potential to create such osteologial malformations.
Malformations of the thoracic cradle can have negative health results,
depending on type and degree.  We all need to learn more about this.

Have separately heard questions about some of the stock in relation to
malformations from three who have judged in separate shows.  Hopefully,
those lines will be culled from breeding.

Have heard some bad and have heard some good about the purchasers.  One
good thing is that they apparently have enough money that they could, if
they chose, follow the lines FIRST instead of selling, and get the help
of people who are experienced in conscientious breeding to learn enough.
Money itself doesn't matter but if it lets them use the most caring and
logical approach toward breeding then it does matter.  Hey, it's about the
ferrets: their health, their longevity, their personalities.  That's what
matters.  We all know that.  As I see it this might turn either way and it
doesn't hurt for people to be informed on either side.  They might cull
from breeding in very responsible fashions or they might not.  Knowing
more on their part could save ferrets, same as for any breeders.

Let's keep religion, money that isn't used to help the ferrets, and all
other stuff that has ZIP to do with the well-being of the ferrets out of
it.  It's the ferrets which count and hopefully the purchasers of the farm
feel the same way.  The other stuff just doesn't matter at all for this
playing field.

Oh, and I KNOW that some of those who have commented are NOT breeders,
including us.  Some are just people who know what problems poor breeding
practises have already caused anywhere and want to be sure that such things
are avoided for the future.  That's a kindness for the ferrets!

One more thing: I think that show judges in the shows by any group should
be able to disqualify ferrets which show malformations or known genetic
problems except from the handicapped categories.  That would even extend
to having ALL disqualified and if such things existed.  IT WOULD PROMOTE
IMPROVED HEALTH IN FERRETS!

Let's put health, longevity, and ferret personality FIRST!  Other stuff is
just so much noise.