From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 06:34:03 -0500
>MN      >N     >O     >K       >
>          >Dr. Kirk Smith, MN Dept of Health, xxx-623-5000  (I need an area
>           code for this, please)

I don't know where you got this information but it is in error on almost
every count.

Minnesota as a state has no official policy.  It got out of the ferret
question about 2 years ago as a result of an administrative challenge to
define the risk assesment which was required under their previous rule.
Rabies testing is done on a municipal level as is all pet related rules.
The previous rule (4605.7600 sub 3 test mammals), which was dropped,
directed that all animals other than dogs or cats involved in a possible
rabies exposure be killed and tested if they were stray and if the animals
was owned it was to be examined by a veterinarian who made a determination
as to whether or not there was a need to test.

ImRab3 IS recognized by the state for use in ferrets.  It's just that
vaccination status has no bearing in determining risk of rabies in the
animal.  The state recognizes the vaccine because the Minn. AG's Office has
been warned by RM that they will pursue legal action if they claim otherwise.

The contact people I have always worked with are Craig Hedberg, State
Epidemiologist (and jerk) and Mike Ostlund (Hedberg's Boss).

The area code for Minn. is (612)

Keep in mind that just because something is official policy it may not be
followed or even known by the underlings who are taking actions.  This is
especially true when there has been a policy change within the last few
years.

Trust me...I know what I'm talking about concerning this issue.

[MD]