From:
Ferret Fanatic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:39:12 -0400
When having ferrets so close in age, the thing I dreaded the most has
happened.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do this close after
losing Miss Tizzy and Woody, but we are now mourning another member of
the Fearless FLO!'s family.  Ginger Snap died from a quick struggle with
cancer early Friday morning.  She had turned 7 April 12th.  I adopted
Ginger from Fascinating Ferrets when she was 2 years old, she was being
retired from breeding due to cataracts.  Blind in both eyes.

I feared Ginger for close to 3 years.  If she had been my first ferret
she would have been my last.  Not used to being handled, she was kept
caged in a barn with 150 other breeding ferrets, she was a vicious
biter.  She would hold on for dear life, didn't matter that her jaws
were dripping in my blood.  Turning the cold water on her head did not
convince her to let go, the only thing that would is closing off her
nostril holes.  Even blind, she would seek me out to bite me.  It took
3 years of trust for her to quit biting me, everyone else in the family
feared her.

Ginger got along with all my other ferrets from day 1.  After having her
spayed, she would join the other ferrets for out of cage time.  Being
blind did not damper her in finding her way around my living room.  Once
I made the mistake of rearranging furniture.  When she came out of her
cage she was lost, and dove under the chair and refused to come out for
hours.  Had to put everything back to it's original state to keep from
upsetting her.

The first time she kissed my chin both scared and overjoyed me.  She had
to make sure that I remembered her old ways by nipping my chin gently
after the kiss.  An all time chatterer, she was so happy when she was out
of her cage she would dook nonstop, and her war dance beat all out all
others, she just didn't do it quite right and it was too funny to watch.
Olive oil on her belly would bring birdlike chirps from her.  She was the
only ferret that Kaos would allow to share the cage with.  After Woody
and Miss Tizzy died she would trade off bunking with the boys, a few days
with Kaos, a few with Taylor.  Now I have Kaos and Taylor left, who
cannot be caged together because Kaos wants so badly to kill Taylor.

Her illness was fast, I did not expect her to die so suddenly.  I will
miss her horribly.

--
Vicki L. Henderson-aka-Ferret Fanatic
The Fearless FLO!