From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:32:07 -0400
Barb wrote:
>There have been several posts from people who are looking for homes for
>their fuzzies because they aren't allowed to have them where they live.
>Before you move to a new place, be sure to find out if ferrets are allowed
>first.  If you decide to "sneak them in", be prepared to have a responsible
>plan "B", if you get caught.  Finding new homes for your fuzzies is not a
>responsible plan"B".

 ...and I have to agree with her.  Our landlord decided to tell us we could
only have two ferrets after we already owned six for many months.  We
talked to them, and engaged them in dealing with one surly neighbor's
complaint.  The neighbor complained of a supposed odor that could be
smelled all the way outside the outdoor hallway, so we invited our
apartment manager over anytime, unannounced.  There has been no further
problem.  Those neighbors moved, and we now have eight ferrets, and have
renewed our lease. :)  We cannot add any more to our business, and to
quote the title of an old TV show, for us "Eight is Enough" anyway :)

What if we couldn't have worked it out?  Well... we were already shopping
for a new apartment or house.  Our ferrets are part of our family, and we
would have left with them.  If you are not prepared to do that, you should
not, IMHO, be bringing ferrets home in the first place.  When you bring a
pet home, you are making a commitment to care for them.  You are
responsible for their lives and well being.

I honestly get angry when someone writes that they cannot afford medical
treatment for their ferrets.  Any pet, be it a dog, cat, bird, or whatever,
can get sick or be injured, and we, as responsible owners, have to take
responsibility for their care.  If we cannot, then we should never have
been pet owners in the first place,

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but it is really how I feel.  Too many
people buy an animal on a whim without a second thought to what taking
him or her in really means.

-Caity and the Gang of Eight

Caitlyn M. Martin                                     [log in to unmask]
http://www.caitys-world.com

"Good grief, man!  It's as simple as Einstein's special
theory of relativity!"
         - Dr. Who, as portrayed by Jon Pertwee