From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:20:51 -0500
Although this was a private post I am hoping the person with the website
sees this and makes the correction crediting Dr. Murray instead of me and
adding details, so am posting.

>Biaxin and Prilosec for stomach ulcers?

Oh, did you run into that probable misquote of me on a website?  I have
never had the time to learn if the person thought that I said that when I
was quoting someone (like in the posts I carry to the FML from the FHL)
or if the person confused me with someone else.  We've never used
Prilosec if my memory serves which is why i am almost certain that I
didn't say it.  I could be wrong, of course.  One of the vets we have
used may have tried it in which case it would be that the vet later came
to favor Carafate which we love in the liquid prep that is available from
any pharmacy.  Most likely, though, it's just a combo which also works
but which we simply haven't tried here.

If you got a chance, please, copy her/him on this.  Thanks.  I'd really
appreciate it.

The thing to do, of course, is to look up Prilosec in the two archives:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org and
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
so, what the heck, I'll do that.

This may have been mistakenly credited to me just because i carried it
over as part of an FHL moderation function:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0107&L=ferret-search&P=R17489

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: JM FHL cross-post, digest 291: various Helicobacter options
>

>Hi X,
>You are half right.  Helicobacter can develop resistance to Amoxicillin
>or Flagyl if they are used alone.  Thus it is recommended to use those
>2 antibiotics together.  However on page 335 of Dr Fox's book (second
>edition) he recommends only Biaxin and Tritec as the new treatment.  It
>does not include Amoxicillin with Biaxin nor does it suggest using
>Carafate.  This is referenced to a study that was published in Lab Animal
>Science (1997;47:434.) in which Dr Fox was a coauthor.  Dr Fox's book
>also list the doses for Prilosec and Tagamet as other antacids that can
>be used instead of Tritec.  Based on the 1998 PDR, the human treatment
>of H. pylori and ulcers is Biaxin with an antacid (Tritec or Prilosec).
>I am not sure what Dr Purcell's book recommends, but she can reply as
>to why she recommends Amoxicillin with Biaxin.
>
> Jerry Murray, DVM
> [Posted in FML issue 3481]

or
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0107&L=ferret-search&P=R15547

>Date:    Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:23:59 -0400
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: JM FHL cross-post, digest 289: Helicobacter treatment
>
>A while back someone asked about how to treat Helicobacter and ulcers in
>ferrets.  There are 2 common protocols.  The first one is the "triple
>therapy".  This means giving 1)amoxicillin (30mg/kg), 2)metronidazole
>(Flagyl 20mg/kg), and 3)bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol 17.5mg/kg)
>3 times a day for 3-4 weeks.  The newer protocol is to give
>1) clarithromycin (Biaxin 25mg/kg) and
>2) ranitidine bismuth (Tritec 24mg/kg) 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
>
>Ranitidine is the same thing as Zantac, and bismuth is similiar to
>Pepto-Bismol.  (Thus Tritec is sort of Zantac and Pepto in one medicine.
>Plus it also has citrate in it.)  Other antacids such as Tagamet
>(10mg/kg) 3 times a day or Prilosec (0.7mg/kg) just once a day can be
>used instead of Tritec.  In addition Carafate the "ulcer band-aid" (1/8
>of the tablet or 1 ml of the suspension) can also be used prior to
>feeding.  If you use Carafate, then do not give the antacid 1/2 hour
>before or after the Carafate; because the Carafate needs an acid stomach
>in order to work.
>
>A bland diet such as Hill's a/d or Gerber's baby food (chicken or
>turkey) also helps.  Since most ferrets hate Pepto and most hate Flagyl,
>treatment with Biaxin, an antacid, and Carafate is usually the best way
>to go.  Biaxin comes in a fruit punch flavor that most ferrets tolerate.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Jerry Murray, DVM
>
> [Sukie note: Scooter thought that his Biaxin was a treat; he loved it.]
> [Posted in FML issue 3479]

That newest one sounds very interesting, doesn't it?  It seems to use the
best of all the med options.  All the best to you!