From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:34:20 -0700
It is for reasons such as Brenda's posting on her concerns and
questions regarding the Des implants and all the helpful responses
given that I love the FML - it is invaluable.

I was fortunate enough to have three ferrets involved in Doctor
Wagner's Des implant study. Luke, who is now 6.5 years old is still in
the study and on his second implant. To date there have been nearly 500
ferrets implanted in Doc Wagner's study. It would be nice to hear from
some of the folks in the Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh area who have had
ferrets in this study. Some for a few years.

In my dealings with Doc Wagner, he has been quick to remind me that
while the 7 implant experiences I have dealt with with my ferrets have
all been positive, the Des implant is not the end all answer to ACD. It
is simply another tool in our toolbox for the treatment of ACD. Not all
treatments work for all ferrets.

While hair regrowth is variable, there does seem to be evidence that
ferrets who receive their implants around the seasonal coat change do
better with regrowth of fur. But again, fur loss is only one clinical
symptom that takes us to the vet for treatment of ACD. Consequently,
we need to be watching for changes/improvements in all symptoms that
led us to the diagnosis in the first place, not only "are they getting
fur?" Ferrets can live healthful and enjoyable lives without fur.

I have tried to act as an advocate to shelters, ferret folks and
their ferrets informing them of the study and providing them and their
vets with information to secure the implants from Peptech, Inc. in
Australia. When effective these implants are less costly than Lupron
and last for a longer period of time - a financial blessing for
shelters and ultimately less stress for the ferrets. From my
experience, I have to disagree with Kevin's comment that they are hard
to procure. My vet was the first in our state to access the implants
to the point he was explaining them to his colleagues at Cornell Vet
School and the local area. He had no difficulty ordering or re-ordering
them nor was there difficulty with the FDA or with U.S. Customs in San
Francisco. Rosie Warren, District Sales Manager for Peptech, Inc.
outlines what is required from each vet to cover the legalities
involved in sending this drug to America. (Sukie has reported this on a
few occasions both here on the FML and the FHL.) My vet keeps on file a
form letter that outlines his purpose for the use of this drug, his vet
license number, his DEA number how many he wishes to order and his
payment information. When he needs more he e-mails his request to Rosie
Warren. They have all arrived within 2-3 weeks of ordering. I was
required to sign a letter stating that I was aware this drug was a new
drug as required by the FDA in other new drug situations. That was in
September of 2009 and a requirement from my vet's office only as a
precautionary measure in the event a problem developed with the FDA.

In addition to Wolfy's synopsis of the week's comments and observations
I would encourage those that opt to utilize the Deslorelin implants to
consider the following;

1. Run your own mini study. Document the symptoms you see that lead you
to the diagnosis of ACD and then record the implant date and follow-up
with documented dates and observations of the symptoms' status. It is
so easy to get busy and lose track of the facts -- then we end up
guesstimating.

2. If choosing to implant with both melatonin and Des do them
separately so the ferret can adjust to the effects of the medication
from one implant first. A few people I have spoken to have done both
implants at the same time and their ferrets have struggled with loss of
appetite and lethargy for days. Why increase the ferret's health risk
or the need to have the implant removed? Also, you will know which
implant was the cause of any reaction and prevent them if together they
cause these problems. Do you really want your ferret to be that one
ferret that is knocked on his/her mustelid butt for a few days?

3. As with all medications when administered you should watch for any
reactions they might have. I found with only one ferret a mild reaction
that was similar to the reaction he had to a rabies vaccination a few
years earlier - perhaps this made him more prone to a reaction to the
implant......a thought. I inquired about this reaction when it occurred
and was told it was not a common problem at all in the study. We
considered this a ferret specific reaction.

injection process as a consideration. Again, I inquired about this with
experienced vets and was told the two major considerations were loss of
the implant from not securing the hole with super glue or whatever the
vet equivalent is. Or, loss of the implant because it does not properly
eject from the needle and is pulled out with needle on extraction.

5. As with all medications that are man made, it is possible that some
batches are not as effective as others. While we are excited about
this drug, it is also important that Peptech, Inc. be informed of the
problems we encounter so they know we expect a quality product from
them. Mass production does not help us help our ferrets if the drug is
inferior. Ask your Vets to contact the company with concerns or if you
can get the lots numbers do it yourself [log in to unmask]

I am most fortunate to have a vet who is is also an excellent
ultrasound sonographer and a bit of a brainiac. He has set up
appointments for the implants to include an US for the ferret (like in
Wagner's study) so there is a baseline look at the adrenal glands and
prostate. We know which gland is effected and what the measurements are
when we start use of the implant. In my most recent appointment Doc
was skeptical that Jack demonstrated enough symptoms to justify the
implant. He went to that medical tool box of his, pulled out another
handy tool, the US, and fired it up. Results: Left adrenal tumor. I
think more because of his desire to have a good understanding of the
disease, implants and data he has adjusted his US fees to be affordable
for the ferrants. I know not all Doc's can do this or are willing to.
Another blessing for the Ryan ferrets.

In closing, I extend my thanks to all who shared or will share their
experiences with the varied meds for adrenal disease as well as thanks
to those vets who are curious enough to work on research to help us be
better custodians to our beloved pets and who do not hesitate to deal
with the paperwork to access these drugs.

The published article by Robert Wagner on ACD and Deslorelin implants
is available in the Summer copy (August?) 2009 Journal of Exotic Pet
Medicine. Additional information is available in the AFA Post
Conference Proceedings 2010 along with the Des vaccine information
which you can purchase on the AFA site along with other great ferret
information. I bought one for my Doc as he was unable to attend this
conference.

Thanks BIG, again for all you do with the FML - it is quite a legacy.

Respectfully,
Cathy Ryan

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3
Hide not amongst the shadows of grief, But frolick openly in the
meadows of memories. sp