From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:53:06 -0500
Danee
Thanks for posting the info on the MUMS bill.

Folks, this is an easy one!  Just one letter to your Congressional
representative.  Find out who it is at
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Here's the letter I sent, slightly modified from one on the web to
include ferrets.
 -----
I am writing to ask you to support the Minor Use Minor Species Animal
Health Act of 2003 (MUMS), H.R.  2079.  This bill has been developed with
FDA's assistance and is similar the human Orphan Drug Act of 1983.  MUMS
was recently passed unanimously by the Senate.

The MUMS legislation provides incentives that encourage pharmaceutical
companies to develop drugs needed for the health and welfare of minor
animal species (e.g.  ferrets, rabbits, ornamental fish, pet lizards and
birds, zoo animals, etc).  It also provides incentives to develop drugs
needed to treat infrequent diseases of dogs, cats, and horses.  It is
important to me because I don=92t have any, or a very limited number of
drugs to treat some serious diseases affecting my beloved ferrets.  This
causes me significant financial loss and causes my ferrets unnecessary
suffering or death.

The fact is that for most animals that might benefit from the MUMS
provisions, there are currently NO approved drugs to treat disease.
Veterinarians, animal owners and zoos have limited options for treating
these sick animals.  In many cases, the choices are to leave sick animals
untreated or to treat animals with unproven therapies.

MUMS will:
o    Improve animal welfare
o    Decrease public health and environmental hazards
o    Stop the spread of diseases
o    Help improve the economic conditions of farmers

The MUMS legislation requires that drugs meet the same stringent public
health and environmental safety standards currently required by FDA, and
it does provide incentives for drug development that would not otherwise
occur.  This is good for the public, the environment and the animals.

Again, I ask you to support the Minor Use Minor Species Animal Health Act
of 2003 and provide animals with the same safe treatment options as does
the 1983 Orphan Drug Act for humans.

Sincerely,
Linda Iroff