From:
"Heckt, Ingrid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:14:39 -0800
We have 7 mostly free roamers, and have had much experience with them
and Christmas trees.  Here is a quick summary for your enjoyment.

Year one: Real tree, normal decorations, presents under the tree.
Result: Pull fuzzies out of the water (repeatedly), rewrap the presents
before going to mom's house, sweep up broken ornaments from the hardwood
floor.  Pull ribbons out of various hidey-holes for the next 12 months.

Year two: Real tree, water area covered and tied shut to keep the fuzzies
out, decorations high enough that fuzzies can't reach them (hah!)
Presents NOT under the tree.  Result: Pull fuzzies out of the tree that
they now climb to reach the ornaments that were lower last year.  Try
to remember on Christmas Eve where we stashed the presents to keep them
away form the furfaces.

Year three: Very short live tree, on top of covered storage bins (so
the furballs can't climb it).  Result: replace the tree skirt the the
furballs have ripped to shreds trying to climb it.

Year four: No tree- we were remodeling to install floors that were more
ferret friendly than the hardwood that their accidents were trashing.

Year five: Break down and get a fake tree, that is short enough to be
placed on the kitchen counter (the ONLY place the fuzzies can't get to).
Buy new glass ornaments to replace those broken in years 1 and 2.
Result: How the $*@! did they find a way up onto the counter?!!  Find a
new way to ferret proof all of the kitchen cabinets to deter climbing.

Year six: Enjoy someone else's tree.  At a home with no ferrets.