From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 16:20:44 -0700
In yesterday's FML, Maria wrote:
>I am writing an article about ferrets and vomiting.  What can be the causes?
>How can we find out what the problem is?  What can be done?  Any special
>things to do if your ferret starts vomiting (special food, good ways to give
>them fluid etc.)?

I would also be very interested in hearing answers to this question... I
*think* my 18 mo. old Casey has allergies, she has vomited twice in the past
week now -- and she saw her vet last Tuesday who pronounced her healthy
(last week's vomit I think was actually caused by part of an unripe pear she
ate, but I have no idea what has caused her to vomit again last night, or
even if it was Casey -- she's caged with Jasmine and Sam, my other two
babies, so maybe they all have allergies!) In all of the books I've read,
vomiting is usally the cause of a more serious illness or blockage, but all
three of my babies were checked thoroughly last week at the vet, plus they
eat/poop/play completely normally right now.

Do allergies or other reasons besides gastrointestinal disorders cause
vomiting?  Maybe hairballs, like cats??  Please advise, and what actions
should be taken.  BTW, I called my vet today and they told me to watch to
see how all of my fuzzits act today and tomorrow morning, and to separate
them if there is any more vomiting, then whoever is the "culprit" will be
taken in pronto if it happens again.  I just don't know if I'm overreacting
and being an over-worried ferret mom!!  Any advice posted would be much
appreciated, thanks!!!

Jennifer and the three fuzz-munchkins, Jasmine, Casey and Samantha