From:
Denise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:00:28 CDT
First I am a teenager of 13.  My name is Samantha Clemons, I work with my
mother at the Ferret Mama's Haven.  I have worked helping my mother since I
was walking it seems.  Yes, Ferrets are wonderful pets.  But, The teenager
who wants a ferret needs to know from a teen to a teen what it is like to
have a ferret.  Some day we start with a call from our Local Pound.  They
can have ferrets brought in at anytime.  If they are not picked up they are
put down.(LIKE DEAD) There is no waiting period like dogs or cats, no room.
Returning to our shelter we begin our days work.  Yes this is when the fun
begins.  No time to stop and call a friend.  There are cages to be cleaned.
I'm getting pretty good at this, I can completely clean a cage,this means
scoop the litter,(MY FAVORITE JOB) changed the bedding, fill and clean
dishes and bottles.  Each cage has different ferrets, meaning different
food and needs.  Some ferrets take medication, some have therapy, and some
need let out to play.  I can now finish a cage (one cage)& (there are
usually around seven to ten) In about 20 minutes.  Supervise a small group
of ferrets for an hour.  Wash a load of soiled bedding and with clean.
Yes, and if it is a good day we have to bath them, clip nails, clean teeth.
Yes the playtime is fun, but ferrets are not all play.  Why do you ask I do
all this??  Not because I am told too.  These ferrets depend on their
owners to do this for them.  And since their owners are no longer around.
Because most of the owners have become bored with them.  Or they are not
young and cute again.  I watch my mother sit sleepness nites with the sick
ones.  I suggest first you work at a SHELTER for at least a month.  If you
can handle all the daily chores and work with the sick and elderly dying
ferrets.  Then give up time out of your day away from your friends.  Then I
say get you a Ferret.  Ferrets are like children, You can't have one day
and not the other days.

P.S.  I am not complaining about what I do to help at the Shelter, I
wouldn't change a time.  I just feel this teen needs to hear from another
teen on this issue of wanting a ferret.

Samantha Christine Clemons @ The Ferret Mama's Haven