From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 09:10:59 -0400
Vaccines, in reply to Megan:
Fervac-D or Fromm-D canine distemper vaccine
    Kits: 8, 12 and 16 weeks (some people recommend 7, 10, 13 and
        16 weeks; or 6, 10 and 14 weeks)
    Adults: annual booster
    If you can't get Fervac-D or Fromm-D, or if your ferret has reacted
    to them in the past, Galaxy-D is an acceptable third choice.
Imrab-3 rabies vaccine
    Kits: one at 14-16 weeks
    Adults: annual booster
    Getting the distemper and rabies shots 2-3 weeks apart can help
    reduce the chances of a reaction.

Bedding, in reply to Felicia et al.:
Cedar shavings are bad because they give off aromatic oils and dust which
have been shown to cause respiratory problems in many small animals (and
humans).  Pine is also dusty, and not good for them.  I've never heard
Marshall Farms recommend cedar -- their former head vet said aspen was okay,
because it's apparently non-oily and low-dust.  For a pet store, aspen might
be all right, or maybe corn cob, for the short time the ferret'll be in the
store.  For a home, litter-train the ferret and give her old shirts or baby
blankets to sleep in.

Pregnancy and litter pans, in reply to Judith Sanders:
Toxoplasmosis has only been seen in ferrets once or twice, but it's so
harmful to a fetus, you're right: much safer to leave the scooping to
someone else when you're pregnant, or wear gloves and wash well.

Jennifer Hoh asked:
>Last week I went on vacation for a week.  I left out over four
>pounds of food-- [...] After only THREE DAYS he reported that all of
>the food was GONE, and that he had filled the dish again.

Are you sure it was eaten, not just stashed in the corner behind the
couch? :) Ferrets usually stop growing around 6 months.  He ought to
slow down a lot before then, though.

Exterminators, for Vlad Potiyevsky:
Ferrets are especially sensitive to most pesticides.  I'd suggest packing
your ferrets up in a carrier of some sort and taking them out of the
apartment for the whole day.  Stash them under your desk at work, or leave
them at a friend's house.  Be sure to cover or remove their food and water
dishes, and sweep up any of their food stashes that might get pesticide on
them.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>