Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:20:26 -0500
Hi,

My fiancee and I just finished hunting for our first apartment together,
and one of our five ferrets, Dickens, can take part of the credit for us
finding the perfect one in a very tight market (each ad generates at least
50 calls around here, there's a drastic shortage).  This after we were
rejected from a bunch because we had ferrets, too!

Paula had called a couple of landlords, responding to ads.  One of them
called back, and Paula talked with her for a while before the pet subject
was brought up (we have 2 cats and 2 birds too).  The landlord then told
Paula no pets and the conversation ended.  Or so we thought, because a
short time later she called us back and said that (being an animal lover
herself) she reconsidered and thought we could work something out, though
she knew little about ferrets (Paula must have really impressed her - which
of course I can relate to ;) ).  I came up with the idea of bringing one
with us, so we elected Dickens to be our ferret ambassador (he's big,
friendly, and reasonably mellow, and never bites).  And off we went.  We
met her, looked at the apartment (which met the ferret seal of approval),
let her pet Dickens and chatted a bit about ferrets.  Dickens was cute and
lovable as could be in his little harness and leash (though I was careful
not to let him near a corner ;) ) ... Her goodbye to us was, "Bye, Mike,
bye Paula, SEE YA MR.  DICKENS!!  (waving at the ferret)"

And thus we now have a nice apartment.  So refreshing to meet a landlord
with an open mind..

Mike, Paula, Buddy, Dickens, Daisy, Sweet Pea, and Winter