From:
Rick Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 08:34:17 -0400
Deanna,

In working with the South Florida Ferret Club, I have done lots of
educational school visits with my fuzzies.  I always try to bring two
different color ferrets but always leave one in the carrier and only handle
one at a time so that I can be in control at all times.  The first thing I
do with any age students is lay down the rules.  "You may pet the ferret
while I hold it but I can't let ANYONE else hold the ferret." (In this case,
not even your own child as the other children will think this unfair and you
will have chaos.) The teacher will back you up on this and all will be well.
This cuts down on a multitude of potential problems believe me.  You would
be surprised how happy they will all be even if they just get to "feel" the
ferret.  I hold the ferrets face toward me and just let the little hands rub
it's back.  The older the ferret the better, as it will be the most calm in
a very ferret-stressful, ferret-confusing situation.  Definately bring a
dryer tube with you and let the children see the ferret run through the tube
a few times.  I would have another adult, perhaps the teacher, at the other
end of the tube retrieving the fuzzbutt and sending it back through.  Of
course you can't get into a long discourse on ferret husbandry with this age
children but do stress that ferrets are not wild animals and if they find
one it is someone's pet.  That they should go get an adult and have them
bring it inside and call a ferret shelter.

Hey, we gotta get 'em while they're young.

Good Luck,
Carin Riley
Development Committee Chairperson
South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, Inc.