From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:23:51 -0500
It may be that reading about Clara, Beeker, and Chiclet in
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
and
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
will help people understand the ferret presentation in the "mystery
disease".  As Dr. Williams said, the fevers are VERY high -- over 104'.
Chiclet often went over 105' in her spikes.  She had the sepsis, and
also had the cellulitis which was seen in a few of these.

If you think you have one who fits: after tissue samples are taken
(Samples NEED to be taken before treatment has begun.), it may pay to
show your vet a copy of the article on vasodilatory shock in the February
2004 issue of "Scientific American".  I can't help but wonder if perhaps
using vasopressin in conjunction with her other meds at a critical point
might have been useful, but as far as I can find no one has tried that
med in a ferret.  It has proven useful in cases of septic shock in humans
for raising the blood pressure when standard means can't keep it in high
enough range to avoid organ damage but even in humans it is not in wide
use.

If you are wondering what this discussion is all about then your single
best bet is to read the post from Dr. Bruce Williams in FML 27 Jan 2004
to 29 Jan 2004 (#2004-4406) using the SEND FERRET feature in the header
of every day's FML (replacing nnnn with 4406 in this case and sending to

Fluids: if you are worried then review your procedure with your vet.
Vets and their techs are the people who best understand this procedure
and how to do it safely so going over it with those medical experts
never hurts, might help, and is very likely to reassure.

Yes, they get Salmonella though the route is usually a different one than
your's.  See the following segments by several ferret vets:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG6619

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG2281

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG9058