Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:43:18 -0600
Your list about vax precautions is good, but there are still some things
that need to be added; more precautions that vets and owners should take.

I have read a number of times about (serious) reactions taking place as
long as three hours afterwards.  It seems to me that waiting 30 minutes,
or even an hour, is just too short a time.  One reaction happened an hour
and a half later, as they were on their way home, halfway between the
vet's office and their home.

*IF* I ever do get mine vaccinated, we WILL be there a solid three hours
afterwards, period.  We may not be right there in the vet office, but we
will be right outside in the car, or somewhere within close running
distance.

A friend, who's ferret had a strong reaction within one minute of getting
the shot, told of the vet wasting precious seconds frantically flipping
through a reference book looking for the proper weight to med ratio for
the antidote to the reaction.  It should be standard operating procedure
to already have ALL that looked up beforehand.  The ferret owner should
insist on that ahead of time, as well as making sure that ALL the needed
EMERGENCY meds and preparations be on hand and readily accessible, before
even thinking of actually administering the vaccination.  I don't mean
that they should actually fill the syringe(s) with the antidotes, but it
wouldn't hurt to have them sitting right there, just in case.

Gary