From:
Nancy Propper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:02:57 -0700
Gordon,

I have to strongly disagree with you.  I have learned from years of doing
rescue on and offline, that it isn't safe to be posting your phone #
anywhere on the internet.  Just because this is a "special interest"
group, and not the NY Times, as you said, does not make it safe.  There
are a lot of wonderful, kind people on the FML, *but* you also have to
remember there are like 3,000(BIG correct me if I'm wrong)people on the
FML.  Do we know each and everyone of them personally?  No.  There are
people that join lists each and everyday that don't always have the best
of intentions.  And even though BIG does a great job with this list, he
can't "screen" every person who want to join.

Yes, at times, a phone call may be quicker, but since I get my FML at
around 2-3am(I'm assuming others get it around the same time), I don't
think a phone call at that hour would be appreciated by anyone.  And,
there are people that will call at crazy hours(I've had people call me
at midnight in regards to rescues).  Plus, many people have private,
unlisted #'s and they'd like them to stay that way.  IMO, it just isn't
safe or smart.

This is not an "emergency" situation where the quickest communcation
is necessary.  I think April giving her e-mail addy was sufficient
information(and the info she gave on the ferrets was plenty).

And honestly, IMO it was *not* necessary for anyone(and this isn't
directed at you Gordon) to give her a hard time for not stating a
city/town(or for her not wanting to post HER phone # to a public list).
People want more info or to find out the town....then e-mail her.  April
has gone above and beyond for these 3 ferrets...they were in a public
shelter and she used money out of her own pocket to get them their
physicals, vaccinations, and ADV testing.  She did NOT have to do ANY of
this.  So please give her some credit and cut her a little slack, ok?

Thank you,
~Nancy