From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:04:31 -0400
No 421 and Oliver had been very busy the past few weeks greeting
ferrets and trying to clean up their yard and garden after winter.
No. 421 was taking stock of what was left in the root cellar from
last years garden when Oliver came to the cellar door with a ticket.

"I was straightening up the tool shed when Bluebird arrived with this
ticket," Oliver said. "We are to greet a ferret named Jack. He is the
first of his family to cross the bridge so he will be all alone. What
do you think we should do?"

No. 421 thought a moment. "I think we should greet him, and maybe
invite him to stay with us tonight. Tomorrow, we will find him a site
and start building a mound for him."

Oliver was excited to have company overnight and hurried to change out
of his work clothes. No. 421 washed up and the two set off for the
bridge.

Arriving at the bridge a few minutes later, No. 421 was surprised to
see a lone ferret sitting on the last step off the bridge. He was
looking very confused and a little scared. He was trying to make the
best of the situation.

"Hello Son," No. 421 said. "Welcome to the Rainbow Bridge. I'm Bridge
Greeter No. 421 and this is my currier Oliver. Would you tell me what
your name is?"

The ferret looked up and sighed. "My name is Jack, and I miss my sister
Jill," he said. "Do you think I could go home and find Jill? I'll bet
she misses me and I would not be alone anymore."

No. 421 put his big arm around Jacks shoulders. "Son, the Rainbow
Bridge is your home forever," he said. "Some day, your sister Jill will
come here also and you will be here to meet her. You do not have any
family here now, so there is no one here to take you under their paw.
Why don't you come home with Oliver and me and we can talk about this.
We are going to have roasted Nbones for supper and I cooked extra for
you. Oliver and I would like to share our meal with you and hear your
story. Tomorrow, you and Oliver will pick out a place for you to build
your mound. It will be small at first, just big enough for you. Then,
we can add a room or two and one for Jill."

Jack got up and the three ferrets walked down the path. Jack told No.
421 and how he was living in a small cage for almost all his life until
he moved in with Momma Micheal.

His story was very sad, so much time stuck in a small cage some times
without any food or water. He told how he felt, he was very unhappy and
he was suffering. What bothered him the most was that his sister had to
suffer along with him.

"Then I moved to a wonderful house where our new mom loved and she took
care of us," Jack said. "We always had food and water, time to roam
around and plenty of love and toys. Mr. No. 421, do you think I could
let my mom know I am here and I am going to be all right? I don't want
her to worry."

The three ferrets had reached the cabin and the aroma of the barbequed
Nbones had filled the air. Jack was hungry after his long trip and
supper smelled delicious. He washed his paws and helped Oliver set the
table.

No. 421 sent Oliver over to ask Shooting Star to come over and take a
letter. She arrived a few minutes later and Jack, who had been thinking
about what he was going to say, smiled for the first time in a few
days. This star lady was very pretty, and she was going to take a
letter to his Mom and sister Jill.

Shooting Star was waiting for Jack to compose his thoughts, and Jack
was thinking about Jill. Finally he said he was ready.

"Dear Mom, Jill, and shelter ferrets, I have arrived safely at the
Rainbow Bridge. No. 421 and his currier are letting me stay at their
place over night, and tomorrow I will start looking for a place to
build our home. I say "our" home because I will make rooms in my house
for everyone.

Thank you Mom for all you did for me, I had a wonderful life with you.
Don't cry for me, I'll be fine now, but please take care of Jill. She
will miss me cause we have always been together. Love ya Mom, Jack."

Shooting Star gathered up her notes and said she would deliver the
message later that night.

The three sat down to dinner which was cooked to perfection. After
supper, Jack and Oliver went outside. No. 421 wrote in his logbook,
Mission Accomplished. Jack and Oliver are out playing ball. Jack will
stay with us for a few days sleeping on the extra hammy in Oliver's
room. Tomorrow, Oliver and Jack will look for a mound site, and start
gathering building material. Oliver already told me Jack LOVED the
Nbones, barbequed in my sauce, so we will have him over when the
weather is warmer for a cook out on the grill.