From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:44:14 -0800
>From:    Brad Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Advice on getting new fuzzie friend for Hobbes

There are bad ferrets.  Just like bad people and dogs and cats...

We have known at least one ferret that likes only one person.  He'll give
our daughter kisses but reserves his teeth for every other living soul.
Obviously he is a permament resident of our shelter now.

But we've gotten ferrets that had been in pet stores and returned to
distributors as awful mean horrible ferrets.  They are actually darned
nice ferrets.

Yup - argued both sides of that one.  Its hard to say though without
actually seeing this ferret whcih group she is in.  The conditions you
describe could lead to the conditions of her feet and fur.  She might have a
foot problem that is from walking in wetness (since she doesn't have alitter
box and might have wet pine if her water leaks or gets spilled.  A few days
or maybe weeks of vaseline or lotion rubbed on the pads clears it up.

There is a shelter in Idaho - you'll probably be hearing from FANG.

>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Laborador Retrievers
 and
>From:    Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dogs and Ferrets
 and
>From:    Sherrie Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: fuzzies and puppies

Been staying out of the dog debates so far but ee've never had problems with
any dog and ferrets but there are those we decided not to risk - they'd been
known to kill cats.

Little dogs such as Shelties and Pomeranians seem suited for ferrets.  They
had the advatage of long hair to protect from ferret teeth but a Min Pin
would most likely be fine.

Only big dogs that we've attempted have been shepherds and a mutt.  One of
the shpeherds is too clumsy for interactions without supervision.  The other
goes crazy trying to herd ferrets.  The poor guy takes his nose and tries to
guide the ferrets.  They just bend and go whereever they want to.  The mutt
is great with the ferrets.  Plays well.

>From:    marianne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: harmonicas
>Someone theorized it sounds like a baby ferret in pain and they were
>jumping to protect it.

Maybe not the pain part but ferrets like high pitches - squeek toys for
example - and many think it is because of something to do with the sounds
of babies.  But remember ferret play is rambunctious so it does bring them
fast.

>From:    Tich <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet Stores
>It seems there are only two types of people posting about this.  People who
>think that Pet stores are BAD and breeders are the only TRUE way to go, and
>others you think that Pet stores are good and breeders are not all that
>great.

How did you miss us?  They each have their purpose.  We know good petstores
(including the cheap one near us) and bad.  We know good breeders (gee us
<grin>) and bad.

>So my true point is be happy that you have your fuzzy, and don't fret over
>where you got it but that you have him and he is happy.

Better advice has not been given...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/