From:
"Bob F." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:32:06 -0700
I've been reading quite alot about nose thumping and people's opinions on
it and for the most part I gather its not an effective way to train a
ferret not to bite, it seems to cause more harm than good.  So I was very
shocked when I went to a large ferret event this past weekend and saw one
woman sitting holding her ferret and smacking him on the nose with her
hand, not a finger, but her whole hand.  Thank god she handed the ferret
to a woman sitting next to her.  The next thing I saw that upset me was a
woman who had ferrets for sale and she was sitting next to the pen where
the ferrets were and was petting a ferret and every time he bit her she
flicked him on the nose and when he did it again she flicked his nose
harder.  I didn't know what to do, I walked away because I couldn't watch
her keep doing this.  I didn't have the guts to confront either of these
people about this.

On another note, I need some advice on something.  I know some people who
have a couple of ferrets (I don't know them well) and I hear they don't
take very good care of the ferrets.  I don't know if they know much about
ferrets or not.  How could you talk to someone about taking better care of
their ferrets without offending them?

Sandy