From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:09:09 EDT
Hello FMLers!

Anne Ryan wrote:
>We sent two of our 4 1/2 year old shelter ferrets home to a permanent
>foster solution with a member of this list a couple nights ago :-)

That would be me!  To make room in the full shelter for a deaf, biting girl
from a pet shop (voluntarily turned over by the ferret-friendly manager),
I went to Anne's with the intent of adopting.  Instead, I agreed to
permanently foster a pair of lovely girls, Sugar and Spice.  Sugar is
recovering from adrenal surgery.  I have yet to introduce them to my crew,
but I hope to be able to add Skittles to the pair as poor Skittles is
getting picked on by China and Jenna in their cage.

Lately I have been spending most of my time caring for and worrying over
my youngest, Christopher.  I suppose I've held off mentioning his illness
because we don't have any answers yet.

I'm writing now because of Karen and Rinkydink.  One of Chris' problems is
thickened instestines.  They're also an unhealthy brownish color, almost
necrotic looking.  I'm not saying that Rinkydink and Chris have the same
problem, just that they both share the thickening, tho Chris has odd lumps
and bumps or nodules on his intestines as well.  Christopher also has
'congested' blood vessels, meaning his arteries and veins looked like lines
on a road map- livid red and enlarged/inflamed.  He has been symptomatic
for acute gastric distress.  Lymphoma is a possible diagnosis for him but I
think we've all but ruled it out at this point.  There are things going on
here that none of us understand.  We have already and are even now testing
his blood, urine, feces, intestines and yes, saliva.  When I have answers,
I'll post about what's been happening.

As an aside, here are some words that are guaranteed to stop your heart:
"Uh oh!" when uttered by your vet who has just opened up your ferret on
the operating table (for what should have been a simple if urgent
adrenalectomy).

I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Yvonne DeCarlo of
Fuzztek North.  She has had to put up with my almost daily phone calls.
She has been my lifeline and my sanity thru all of this, and it's not over
yet.  The least I could do to thank her was to give that gift of food and
supplies a couple of weeks ago.  I am forever in her debt.

I also want to thank Pat Stauffer for telling me about Tylan powder.  It's
a bit early to be sure but it's looking good after 3 days.  And you're
right, there is no way to mask the bitterness on this stuff.

That's enough for now.  If I don't curb my fingers, I'll write your eyes
off.  Hmm, that doesn't really translate from 'talk your ear off', does it?
Oh well, you get the idea.

Take care, all.
Anastasia Kidd