From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:18:07 EDT
>There is a pet store in Northeast Philadelphia called Birds, Birds, Birds
>located in the 4400 block of Frankford Avenue.  It is their practice to
>cut and file the canine teeth of the baby ferrets...

Dear Diane,

Here are some quick thoughts and suggestions--there is a LOT you can do.

First, it sounds as if they are mistreating different kinds of animals
besides the ferrets (ie, puppies) so other local animal groups should be
interested in getting involved.  Find out what other groups are in your
area--cat/dog shelters, rescue groups, etc.  Post fliers at local vets'
offices and other places.  You can form a coalition of people--you don't
have to do this all yourself.  The more the better!!

Decide what your goal is--do you want to shut this guy down (not a bad
idea); have him improve conditions?  in what ways?  stop selling pets
altogether?  also not a bad idea.  If you have someone who is very
diplomatic, have that person talk to the store owner first and see if he
will listen to reason.  If not, then let him know what you plan to do,
why you are doing it, and what you expect from him.  Is this store part
of a chain?  Definitely complain to the regional/national office.

Ask for advice.  I would call up your regional office of the Humane Society
of the US (HSUS) and ask for their advice.  Your regional office is at
973-927-5611.  See <hsus.org> Regional Offices.

Contact the Animal Legal Defense Fund <http://www.aldf.org/> and see what
they suggest.  Call (707) 769-7771 (Calif.  number but they have people all
over the US).

Does someone on the FML know what role the USDA plays?  Their website is at
<http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/>.  See what is covered in the Animal Welfare
Act.

Have a picket--all you need is a few people to gather outside the store on
Saturdays and Sundays with a couple of signs and a simple flier to hand
out.  Be polite, and when people ask why you are picketing, tell them.
Also ask them not to buy anything from this store.  If the store is in a
mall, you may be out of luck, as malls are private property.  Find out
ahead of time what the regualations are for picketing in that specific
area.  MAKE SURE YOUR INFORMATION IS 100% ACCURATE.  You do not want this
person accusing you of slander, libel, etc etc.

Media coverage!!!!  Get a sympathetic reporter to write a story, especially
if you are having a picket.  Get other people to write letters to the
editor.  Make this a topic!  Have the other animal organizations write
something in their newsletters.

There is a LOT you can do and you don't have to do it yourself!  Most
animal lovers would be horrified to know what is going on, and I'm willing
to bet that a number of them would be willing to do something.

Good luck, please let us know what happens.

Ronnie DiComo in Mass.