From:
Diane Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:44:50 EDT
About the deaf ferret discussion-try this scenario:
I decide to breed a lilac gray ferret with azure blue eyes.  Now a large
number of these ferrets will be blind and have deforemed limbs,plus who
knows what internal problems.

From the answers I've seen on the FML this is okay for the following
reasons:

 1. the ferrets don't know they have problems and will adapt
 2. people with these differences should be able to have children
 3. a lot of people will adopt them because they're relatively rare
 4. some people will love them unconditionally
 5. there are always shelters to take them in if owners decide wasn't good
    idea
 6. but it such a neat color combination
 7. if they do get out it doesn't matter that they may not be able to keep
    themselves as safe as a normal ferret
 8. so it may be extremely difficult for the ferret later in life or it
    can't adapt well no big deal-mine is fine

NO i'm not really going to breed such a ferret but stop and think what your
saying when you tell breeders anything goes.  We need to put the ferrets
first and adding to their problems by purposely breeding with known genetic
defects doesn't seem like its any benefit to the fuzzies.