From:
Pam VanOverloop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 06:17:01 EDT
I would like to respond to Ian's request for info on sharing a home with
ferrets AND chinchillas.  We have a multi-specie household here, including
a pair of chinchillas and 20 ferrets.  My advice is to enjoy them for
thier individual charms, but keep them seperated!  Over the past years our
ferrets have killed a hamster and a parakeet, both were in rather flimsy
cages that the ferrets were able to break into.  It was a hard lesson to
learn, but rather than tempt the ferrets' instincts, we are much more
diligent about supervising the ferrets when they are out and about.  We
also have lots of gates and plexiglass barriers to control the ferret play
territory.

I would like to share a funny story though.......I learned that chinchillas
are not totally defenseless!  My chins live in my laundry room, in a large
cage on a shelf about the same level as my washer/dryer.  One day I carried
a ferret in with me to do a load of laundry, and set Rascal on the dryer
for a few minutes when I needed to use both hands.  Mama Chin has quite an
attitude, especially when she has babies, and she was NOT pleased to smell
that ferret so close.  When Rascal leaned over to sniff the chinchilla
cage, Mama Chin rocked back on her tail and sprayed a well aimed stream of
urine right in Rascals face!  I never saw such a surprised ferret......and
I was rolling with laughter.

PamV in Cincinnati