From:
Emma Stretton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:27:52 -0700
I posted a month or so ago for the first time to the list telling the story
of how I got involved with the world of ferrets - it's like an addiction,
and I need HELP!  I've gone from one to soon-to-be six since March!  I
enjoy reading the FML everyday, and I just wanted to introduce them all to
you.

Lester -- my most beautiful dopey boy!  He was named after Lester Young,
one of the greatest sax players that lived!  Lester was going to be called
Dexter after Dexter Gordon - my all time sax playing hero - but someone I
know had a baby called Dexter and I didn't want her to think I'd named him
after her son! >:o)

Doug -- What can I say?  If you saw him, he just screams the name "Doug" to
you!  He was apptly named I feel, though the spelling should be changed to
"Dug," coz he did -- my poor poor carpet...>:o)  Doug is as spazzy as Lester
is mellow - he attacks air molecules and laughs CONSTANTLY - you know - the
"hahahahahaha" sound?  He's also becoming a dooker, which is fantastic!  I
love him to bits coz he's just so STUPID!  >:o)

Kiki -- she was already named by her previous owners, she's my shelter
girl.  (Thanks Scarlett!) I was worried about Kiki at first, I got very
upset with her biting, that little madam made me feel VERY inadequate for a
bit there.  But now she's really grown on me.  She's started to walk around
with a bit more playfulness in her stride, although she is still in "mother
mode." Getting better every day though - I even got a snuggle from her a
couple of days back!  She'll be fine once her hormones settle I'm sure!
(Can we all say "false pregnancy?!"  That's GOT to mess you up for a
while! >:o)

Millie -- MY BABY!  Awww - I get all silly over her, my tiny tiny ornery
little girl!  She's really begining to settle in now.  I put Kiki in with
her today - they LOVE each other!  Millie may be good therapy for Kiki's
mothering - I'll have to see.  Millie got her name just becasue I like it,
and after reading about the loss of Ammonia (part of Millie's Cleaning
Crew,) it just felt nice to call her Millie.

And my new babies that will be here soon - Eric and Hattie.  (Thanks Bunny
and Pam!) We were going to stay with four, (well, actually three at the
time...) but then Andy saw a big boy called Ozzy at a Heart of Ohio Ferret
Assocation meeting.  He was really impressed with his size, and decided
that he wanted to "grow his own!!" (Lester and Doug are both MF ferrets -
we thought Lester was big, but Ozzy was bigger!) When we saw Eric, we had
to have his sister too coz they make a great matching pair...I know I know,
the reasons we come up with to justify ferret math...

They will be named after characters from a comedy show on UK tv that I used
to watch.  It was about a brother and sister who shared a house and all the
scrapes they got into.  Getting into scrapes?  Sound familiar?  What else
could I have called me brother and sister duo?!

So now I have a business, and it's just too cool for words!  Not bad for a
UK lass that originally thought ferrets were nasty little weasely things!

Whilst I'm here, mark August 28th in your diary if you're going to be in
the Columbus Ohio area for Ferret Extravaganza '99.  I'm really looking
forward to it - but I HAVE to leave my cheque book at home!  For an
information pack, visit
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/jnjack/pack99.html

One last thing.  Skeeter?  Could you welcome Michaela to the Rainbow Bridge
please?  She was taken far too young, and will be missed greatly by her
mum.  If it wasn't for meeting Michaela, I wouldn't have gotten involved
with ferrets when I did.  She loved playing with Noah the dog, and
exploring EVERYWHERE she went.  She really was a beautiful little girl,
and her mum will miss her dearly.

Thanks for reading,
Emma and the ... now I have to think of a cool name for my "business" -
any ideas?